Sunday, March 18, 2007

Foam Froth and funny business!




I couldn't believe how much marine grade foam costs per sheet; it's crazy! I have worked with polymers for years now and I know how cheap the starting material is for this stuff, so I started looking for various alternatives for my quixotic little project. I started posting questions on SA and boat design forums, and I started gathering data on sandwich construction. Apparently there is a guy from down under who built a boat out of fridge foam and it has been sailing for 6 years and the hull is still rigid! I can't wait to find out more about how this boat was built. Using an unproven method for building a hull is a bit scary. All the time cash and effort could be wasted if the Build method turned out to be unsound. Quixotic indeed. Ply construction still looks to be the best bet.

No comments: