Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Has Rapscallion jumped the shark?




I have tried to post every day with this blog - hoping to keep the creative juices going. But It isn't easy to jot down daydreams with clarity. Most of the time I "check out" I go to a place where things don't happen linearly. It's too easy for me to start at one thought and branch from there with two new thoughts that seem to be occurring simultaneously. It just gets more convoluted from there. Our brains were designed to handle input from several senses at once. Reading offers the chance for our imaginations to run wild, but the evolution of our language limits this tremendously. In some ways language harms our creativity. I think of people who seem to confuse symbols with the things they stand for. Take for example the American flag. It's just a piece of fabric, what it stands for is what is important, not the flag itself. Our language blurs that distinction in my opinion. I also wish there was a way to string words together in a tree branch form instead of this stupid paragraph form... so concepts can flow from a single source... It should also be easier to create words for things that don't yet have words...

what was I talking about? Oh ya, jumping the shark... It's not as easy to come up with silly funny silliness every day. But in this case I'm hoping it's the effort that counts. The only way to become a better writer is to write.... practice... right?

1 comment:

EVK4 said...

Interesting that while reading a post about non-linear thought, I look over and notice your sailing links are now patterned longest to shortest. You know, creating a line.

Nice touch. Your blog-creativity still has outlets.