Friday, June 22, 2007

solo? ahh, blame the crew anyway!


Well, single handing the boat is pretty easy now; the tiller helper has control lines that run along the rails to the foredeck. I learned the hard way that little trick wasn't foolproof. Last Tuesday I was pulling out of the river when I noticed some metal piece fly off of the base of the mast. I didn't see what it was... so I went up to the foredeck to take a look. I had lost the bolt in the goose neck. The control line also got a bit tangled in the jib sheet. Long story short I ended up kissing the break wall right in front of the local coast guard outpost. I lost a couple of stanchions. The bases ripped out of the deck. Well, at least I have time to research my next BYM news article while I wait for the epoxy to dry.... I was able to straighten out what was bent; and I bought new stanchions just in case. I seem to go through those like underwear.


I have met some people at work that seem to be interested in racing. I'll give it a shot. They actually want to practice!!! I was floored. I have a borrowed Laser for tomorrow. I can't wait to race the little guy! I have been so busy with work, school, and life that I haven't been sailing as much as I had hoped.. I have to start racing again. Good old Uncle DeGroot sold the old butterfly a long time ago...

No comments: