Monday, July 7, 2008

Rapscallion 2.0



After over a year of mulling over plans for a home build, I have finally found the boat I am going to build... (or at least try to... but like Yoda said, "There is no try, only do or do not.")

I was hoping to build a 31' Kurt Hughes swing wing trimaran, I even bought the plans, but the cost of raw materials was a bit higher than my very modest budget could handle.

So I asked Rob Denney to design a proa that had standing headroom, a fully enclosed head, easily trailer launch-able, and fast as the Dickens! Also, because the of boat's light weight, it can be pulled by my regular Lebaron Convertible. No gass sucking SUV for me... and freedom from the Marina Fees! Horray!

At that moment Harry Proa and Rapscallion became very good friends! For it was at that moment that Rapscallion 2.0 was born!

The Bruce number for the boat is 2.34! And, with some internet wheeling and dealing, the boat will be very inexpensive to build. Check out www.harryproa.com for details on this boat - which are contained in the most recent newsletter.

The original rapscallion is cleaning up nicely, but is itching to race.... more on racing as soon as the pics are available.

3 comments:

EVK4 said...

OK, I'll admit it. I don't understand proas....looks like i have some reading to do.

"Raps" said...

http://www.planet.fi/~kcad/cpc/Cruising_proa_concepts.htm

here is a pretty good start.

Charles said...

What happen to the Rapscallion? I can't find any further reference. Looks very fun.